Thursday, March 7, 2013


7 marzo

Spoiler alert: Tyler and I returned home safe and sound.  I definitely want to update you all on our last week of travels, though, and in order, if possible.  My next few entries are about our trek from Xela to Lago Atitlan, our day at the Lago, day in Antigua, and trip back home.

On Friday night (1 marzo), Tyler and I went to the Quetzaltrekkers mandatory information meeting to get the scoop on and gear for our big hike.  Afterwards, we made an amazing dinner from all of our market purchases: raddish, cucumber, and carrot salad with a lime vinaigrette, guacamole, huevos revueltos, fried plantains, and a side of fresh tortillas (purchased). 

I officially "graduated" from Celas Maya in a much smaller graduation crew than the prior week.  Most of the UVA students had left on Thursday, leaving only me, Molly, and Eric to accept our certificates and enjoy the "bebidas and talents" theme with a few other students, Tyler, a few teachers, and the tour guide/cafe guys from the school.  Jen and Michelle also made a guest appearance!  Eric and Molly, good Spanish students as they are, had of course prepared a Spanish karaoke duet as their talent.  The picture below is of them singing, just before the lights went out and they were forced to sing from memory in a cell phone spotlight.  Very classy.

 Real talent.

I, on the other hand, having only 1 talent, once again coerced everyone else into losing to me at limbo.  This makes 2 times in just over 2 weeks.  I was challenged by a fellow student from Germany, Kevin, the surprisingly flexible barista/guide/teacher from Celas Maya, and Michelle, whose technique improved considerably over the course of the competition. Their efforts were ultimately futile against my amazing limbo prowess which, impossibly, may have actually strengthened after 4 weeks of poneytailed-teacher-led backbends.  
 Kevin, me, Michelle

We ended the night with a celebratory drink and earring purchase at a place called Cafe Red (yes, it's called "Red," not "Rojo," which should clue you in to the percentage of gringos there.  Hint: it was close to 100.) We needed to go to sleep early but I insisted we stay for at least a half an hour so I could wear my new earrings.

Next post to follow shortly with more pictures and tales of mountains and erruptions....though not the kind you might be thinking of.


No comments:

Post a Comment